Thoughts Lead To Appreciation
92. This is a Book which We have sent down, bringing blessings, and confirming (the revelations) which came before it, that you may warn the Mother of Cities and everyone around her. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in This (Book), and they are constant in guarding their Salaat (Prayers).
This is proof against anyone who disbelieves in the Qur’an, but claims to believe in the Resurrection. If their belief is genuine, it should lead them to the Qur’an and to the Sunnah.
The preservation and observation of our Salaat can not be over-emphasized. It is among the first matters on the list of matters to be evaluated on that Day.
93. Who can be more iniquitous than he who invents a lie against Allah, or says: “I have received inspiration,” whereas he is not inspired at all, and who says, “I will reveal the like of what Allah has revealed.” If you could see when the wrongdoers are in the agonies of death, and the Angels stretch forth their hands (saying): “Yield your souls! This Day you shall be recompensed with the torment of degradation because you used to say things that were not true about Allah and you used to treat His Aayaat with contempt!”
This is the contempt of court charge. When we appear before a judge, we are very mindful of our utterances and conduct, for we are aware that any violation of court rules renders us in contempt, which is a punishable offence.
But, some individuals do not hesitate to say in Allah’s Presence, for He sees, hears and knows, what they lack authority and casually lie about Allah. Whoever does so have been ruled to be out of order and in contempt of Allah Himself.
94. In fact you have come to Us alone as We created you the first time. You have left behind you all that We had bestowed on you. We do not see those intercessors of yours with you whom you argued that as far as you were concerned were partners of Allah. All relations between you and your vanities have been severed, and your vanities have vanished.
We will stand on the Day of Judgement stripped of all extraneous attachments. There will be neither familial nor societal ties. All invalid allegiances will be rendered null.
95. Allah cleaves the seed-grain and the date-stone to sprout. He causes the living to issue from the dead, and He causes the dead to issue from the living. That is Allah. How could you miss that point!
96. Cleaver of the daybreak. He has appointed the night for relaxation, and the sun and the moon for computation. Such is the measurement of The Exalted in Might, The Knowledgeable.
97. He is The One Who made the stars for you, so that with their aid you may manoeuvre through the dark recesses of the land and the sea. We have fully explained Our Aayaat (Signs, Proofs, Revelation) for people who know.
98. He is The One Who created you from a single person, and a place of residence and a place of storage. Indeed, We have explained in detail Our Aayaat for people who understand.
99. He is The One Who sends down rain from the skies. With it We produce vegetation of all kinds: and from some We produce greens, out of which We produce thick clustered grains; and out of the date-palm and its sheaths clusters of dates hanging low and near; and gardens of grapes, olives, and pomegranates; each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). When they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with its fruit and its ripeness. In these things are Aayaat for people who believe.
Immediately following the caution about the Day of Judgement which is a Resurrection and a recreation of life, Allah begins to describe His Attribute of sustenance of creation as we know it. One may marvel at the second creation, but easily comprehend the growth and development of organisms from insignificant origins and can hence make the link to the second creation. Allah is saying, “I made these plants grow from a tiny seed. Likewise will I generate you.”
Allah proceeds to explain to us some of the reasons for His Creation:
1) Daybreak varies: the late-night daybreak and early morning daybreak.
2) The night is for rest.
3) The sun and moon for activities, including calculation of days and earnings.
4) The stars are a natural compass.
5) Humanity serves as a compartment and storage for progeny and knowledge.
6) Rain serves many purposes, including agricultural.
Entwined in these explanations is knowledge. Commencing from intellectual retards, Allah declared Himself the Knowledgeable and outlined the gradation of knowledge among His Creation:
Knowledge requires the most basic of information. Note that here the people of knowledge are mentioned after a simple fact: that stars were before compass and radars became popular the means of route direction.
Comprehension requires more than obvious news. It necessitates reasoning and abstraction. What is the need for man and woman? Why does humanity not sprout from laid eggs embedded in the soil, on the pattern of the growth of plants? Delicacy and refinement.
Conviction entails information, understanding and analysis. Note the association of conviction with variety, which calls for in depth analysis.